Welcome to the website page for Health and Physical Education. I am Mrs. Collis and I will be teaching your children for this school year.
Classroom Rules and Expectations
All assignments are to be handed in on the date they are due.
50 points each quarter will be based on your classwork and homework
50 points each quarter will be based on your participation and behavior
CommunicationThere are many ways you can get in touch with me:
- Email is the best way
- Send a note with your child- I will write you back the same day. If you are requesting a phone call, I can do so during my preparatory periods. See days and times in next bullet.
- Phone call- You can call the office at 201-943-4299. Ask to speak to me, but know that I am only available during the day as follows: Monday-Friday 10:45-12:00 p.m.
- Set up a meeting- I am happy to meet in person, but I know we all have busy schedules. Let me know what time/day works for you, and we will work out an appointment.
Following is a brief description of how we explore learning in Health and Physical Education:6th Grade Health
- Health and Skill Related Components of Physical Fitness
- Three types of health
- Health Decision Making
- Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Body Image
- Self Esteem
- Mental Health
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Alcohol and Drugs
We work together as a department to promote the importance of health and well being and how that can be achieved through lifetime fitness activities.
We work with the American Heart Association to raise money through Jump Rope for Heart and Hoops for Heart.
If you are ill/excused absent from school, you will need to turn in your assignment the day you return to school.
If you are absent from class for any reason, it is your responsibility to pick up any notes/handouts/assignments you may have missed.
Come to class on time and prepared. You will need to bring something to write with and a notebook. I suggest also bringing a folder specifically for health class.
Be respectful of others at all times – this includes your classmates, teachers, substitute teachers, student teachers, or any other guests that come to this class.
Discipline – Any inappropriate behavior will not be accepted. One verbal warning will be given (except for severe cases). If behavior continues, a detention will be issued and parents will be notified. If behavior still continues, you will be removed from the classroom and a meeting with the principal will occur.
50 points each quarter will be based on your participation and attitude during class.
* You are responsible for your grade. The more points you earn, the better your grade will be. So give your best effort at all times and your grade will take care of itself.
Our curriculum is developed in line with the Common Core Standards and the New Jersey standards for Health and Physical Education. For a specific outline of the state expectations for your fifth grader, visit the State Website.